Saturday, July 21, 2012

What I'm Working On

Got a lot of organizing done today and then I DID make some progress on two quilts I am working on that will be Christmas gifts.

The first quilt I worked on will be for my niece.  It needs to be twin-sized as she will be moving into a big girl bed soon.  I am using the Sweet Pea pattern by Heather Mulder Peterson and pink and purple fabrics - perfect for a 3 1/2 year old!


The second one I pulled out and worked on is a quilt I started for my Dad a couple of years ago.  He is an avid fisherman and I found some cute fish fabric that is perfect for a quilt for him.  I bought some coordinating fabric at the same time, and started a simple pattern of framed squares to highlight the fish.  Unfortunately I did not have enough of the coordinating fabrics and by the time I realized I needed more I couldn't find them anymore (of course!).  I sewed the blocks together thinking I would just make it work but it was way too small and ever since then it has been abandoned in the UFO pile.  I actually found some of one of the fabrics recently and pulled it back out.  I have decided to just find some additional fabrics that match and make it more of a scrappy quilt.  Here are the blocks I made today.  I am going to have to unsew the blocks I had originally sewn together, but those are not in the pic.


As a reward for getting organized and making some progress on these quilts, I raided the stash to find fabric to start a new project.  I want to do the Great Granny Square Quilt Along that is going on at Bee in My Bonnet.  I found two layer cakes that are orphans in my stash, so I may just end up making two of these quilts, since I couldn't choose between the two.  (ugh!)


I pulled out my color card and ordered some solids to coordinate.  I love the Twiggy line and have been holding on to this one for a long time.  The other one is American Primer by Minick & Simpson.  It would make a good QOV, so I guess I WILL make two of these.

Tomorrow will be a quilty day, too, so I should have more progress to show.  Gotta go, I have a lot cutting to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment