Saturday, August 25, 2012

Work In Progress

I am still working on a baby quilt from my own pattern.  I am not sure that I picked the right fabric for this quilt but it will be a good test of my idea.  I finished assembling the top and glued the polka dots on.


My next step is to sew the circles onto the quilt top.  The idea is that they will be raw-edge applique and after the quilt is washed the polka dots will have raggedy edges.

I also had a plastic bin of scraps that I started cutting into standard sizes.  I use a modified version of Bonnie Hunter's scrap users system.  My method is that I throw all scraps into a plastic bin while I am working on projects and when it gets too full I dedicate some time to cutting.  I Iron all of the scraps and then cut everything into 2" and 2 1/2" inch strips.  Anything smaller than that goes into my string bin.  I will occasionally save an additional size if I have an idea or a planned quilt that needs something different than 2" and 2 1/2" pieces.  Right now I want to make a twister quilt and it needs 3 1/2" squares so while I am cutting scraps I am making those, too.  If I cut a little bit each night after work, I should have my scrap bin empty by the end of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment